Re: Rule recompilation

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rule recompilation
Date: 2001-07-12 18:12:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
> > > In good world rules (PL functions etc) should be automatically
> > > marked as dirty (ie recompilation required) whenever referenced
> > > objects are changed.
> >
> > Yepp, and it'd be possible for rules (just not right now).
> > But we're not in a really good world, so it'll not be
> > possible for PL's.
>
> Why is it possible in Oracle' world? -:)

Because of there limited features?

Think about a language like PL/Tcl. At the time you call a
script for execution, you cannot even be sure that the Tcl
bytecode compiler parsed anything, so how will you ever know
the complete set of objects referenced from this function?

And PL/pgSQL? We don't prepare all the statements into SPI
plans at compile time. We wait until the separate branches
are needed, so how do you know offhand here?

In the PL/pgSQL case it *might* be possible. But is it worth
it?

Jan