Postgresql/Cold Fusion cfinsert date problems

From: Paul Haddon <paullist(at)mail(dot)hartingdale(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql/Cold Fusion cfinsert date problems
Date: 2001-07-03 02:42:34
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm evaluating Postgresql on Linux as a database back end
to Cold Fusion on NT, and running into a problem with dates.

The test setup is: Cold Fusion 5 on Win2000; the latest
ODBC driver from odbc.postgresql.org; Postgresql 7 on Linux.

Cold Fusion has two methods of inserting records into the
database. The first is where you wrap a standard 'insert into...'
SQL command in a <cfquery..> tag. This is working correctly.

The second method takes defined form variables and inserts them
into a specified table. Essentially it is building the SQL command for you.
eg: <cfinsert datasource="postgresql" tablename="test_table" formfields="fielda, fieldb">

The problem with this method is that the date that ends up in date
fields in the table is always the servers date, regardless of what
information is placed into the form field, and in what format.

Is this a Cold Fusion oddity; is there some setting in Cold Fusion
or the odbc driver I can modify; is there a way of formatting date
variables to get around the problem? Or do I look at not using
the cfinsert method altogether?

Thanks

Paul Haddon
Technical Services Manager