Re: How NULL is interpreted in Pgsql

From: Per-Olof Pettersson <pgsql(at)peope(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How NULL is interpreted in Pgsql
Date: 2001-05-15 23:38:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi

In the condition "where id != 11" you state that the value should differ
from null.
For a value to be different than 11 it has to be a value in the first
place.

So in reality you state two things:
1. id must be a value
2. id must differ from 11

It is nothing specific with Postgresql but common to most(all) relational
databases using SQL.

To get the desired result you can add "OR id IS NULL".

Result:
select * from junk where id != 11 OR id IS NULL;

Best regards
Per-Olof Pettersson

On 2001-05-15, 10:16:22, pnguruji(at)yahoo(dot)com (Guru Prasad) wrote regarding
How NULL is interpreted in Pgsql:

> Dear Friends,

> I created a table with no 'unique constraints' which is depicted as
> follows.

> create table junk (id int, name varchar);

> Then, i inserted some records into the table. My table contents is listed
> below.

> id | name
> -------------+------
> 1001.000000 | bolt
> 1002.000000 | nut
> 1003.000000 |
> 11.000000 | screw
> | cutter
> | cutting table

> Then, i gave a select query for the above table. The select query is

> 'select * from junk where id != 11';

> To my surprise, it displayed all the records except those which had
> 'NULL' in the 'id' field.

> How is that possible ? (I mean it should displayed all the records except
> the matching condition).

> But, if i set PRIMARY KEY constraint to 'junk' table then it displays all
> the records (I can't say NULL here, but i can say '0').

> How NULL is processed in Postgres.

> Could any one has some clue.

> Regards,
> guru.