Re: refusing connections based on load ...

From: ncm(at)zembu(dot)com (Nathan Myers)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: refusing connections based on load ...
Date: 2001-04-25 05:36:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:28:17PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> I have a Dual-866, 1gig of RAM and strip'd file systems ... this past
> week, I've hit many times where CPU usage is 100%, RAM is 500Meg free and
> disks are pretty much sitting idle ...

Assuming "strip'd" above means "striped", it strikes me that you
might be much better off operating the drives independently, with
the various tables, indexes, and logs scattered each entirely on one
drive. That way the heads can move around independently reading and
writing N blocks, rather than all moving in concert reading or writing
only one block at a time. (Striping the WAL file on a couple of raw
devices might be a good idea along with the above. Can we do that?)

But of course speculation is much less useful than trying it. Some
measurements before and after would be really, really interesting
to many of us.

Nathan Myers
ncm(at)zembu(dot)com