Any optimizations to the join code in 7.1?

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Any optimizations to the join code in 7.1?
Date: 2001-04-25 10:34:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

I have a particular query which performs a 15-way join; I believe in
normalization ;-). Under 7.0.3, using the defaults where GEQO is
enabled after 11, the query (which returns 1 row) takes 10 seconds.
With GEQO turned off, it takes 18 seconds. Naturally I intend to
upgrade as soon as possible, but I looked through the change log and
didn't see anything specific WRT large joins. I was wondering if any
work had been done in that area for 7.1. I realize you can only
squeeze so much blood from stone, but....

Thanks for any info,

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com