Re: well, now i wish we hadn't gutted the ipv6 support

From: Paul A Vixie <vixie(at)mfnx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: well, now i wish we hadn't gutted the ipv6 support
Date: 2001-04-22 03:48:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> AFAIK we never actually *had* IPV6 support in those datatypes, only
> stubs for it.

the inet_net_pton implementation that was brought in from BIND had its
IPv6 portions scrubbed. micro-over-optimization of the contributed
"bitncmp" caused the "ipv4 as int" assumption to reoccur. i'm going to
have to put it back to BIND-standard as much as possible. presumably
as long as the on-disk format is compatible (such that old databases can
be both read and written by the new code) none of that will be objectionable.

> A patch to bring it up to full speed would be gladly accepted...

thanks for the invitation, i'll start work on it right now.