Re: Re: erServer beta

From: Christopher Masto <chris(at)netmonger(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Robert L Mathews <lists(at)tigertech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: erServer beta
Date: 2001-04-16 20:20:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:38:36AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Our policy on Open Source vs Closed Source is it depends on who funded it
> ... if we covered the costs internally, it goes Open Source ... if a
> client paid us to do it for them, its Closed Source, as paying us to do
> something for them is meant to give them a competitive advantage, and Open
> Sourcing it would detract from that ...

Not necessarily. There is a long history of paying for software
development, not because you want it to horde, but because you want it
to exist. Happens all the time in the GNU camp, and with certain
FreeBSD projects.

If/when we "fund" Postgres development, for example, it would remain free.
--
Christopher Masto Senior Software Engineer Intelligence Technologies
chris(at)netmonger(dot)net http://www.inteltec.com

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/