Re: [SQL] Contribute to the PL/pgSQL CookBook !!

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Richard H <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Contribute to the PL/pgSQL CookBook !!
Date: 2001-03-16 08:23:20
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:21:58AM +0000, Richard H wrote:

> Just checked it out - very nice indeed.

Thanks! It's really just bare-bones as I didn't have time to make it
pretty or work on the UI. I plan to improve it of course. Suggestions
(such as yours) are very welcome.

> Made my first upload, and I think someone else did while I was checking
> mine.

I noticed :) Keep them coming !

> A FREE BUTTON! And they said the dot-com frenzy was over!

I really like that button. PostgreSQL needs more advocacy.

> You do realise you've built something that will grow to take over your
> life and possibly the rest of the world?

I hope we can get lots and lots of recipes. It'd be a great resource.
Python has something of the sorts (association of O'Reilly and Active
State if I am not mistaken).

> If I can suggest some early enhancements (well, it's been running for
> several hours now :-)
>
> 1. People will want to change their entries - take their email and send
> them a password so they can edit it later.

I thought about that, but my thinking was that if people had to
register a login/password first, that might stop some people from
cnotributing.
What do others think? Allow for editing or not?

> 2. Perhaps add a "Title" field - something shorter than the description.

Good point.

> Very impressive though (and I though I was going to be clever adding a
> "please respond" form to my notes 8-)

There's even a tree function already!
The OpenACS project (www.openacs.org, of which I am part) makes heavy
use of PL/pgSQL, so I'll be adding a number of recipes in the near future.
Hope others will do the same.

-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club|------+