Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, frank(at)joerdens(dot)de, mitch(at)venux(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?
Date: 2001-02-17 02:29:14
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

> >> ... I wonder whether this is an inbuilt,
> >> unavoidable problem with free software projects once they reach a certain
> >> level of popularity.
>
> > Funny you should mention PHP. I talked to Rasmus about the email volume
> > when I first met him in the fall. He said the volume of email is so
> > great that just reading the subject lines takes a long time.
>
> > We aren't there yet, but we are heading in that direction.
>
> Yes, the shape of the curve is pretty clear --- it's already not
> possible for the key developers to respond to everything, and that'll
> get worse. We have to start thinking about ways to spread out the load
> better.

One idea is encouraging people to make local mailing lists all over
the world. That will be easier to read/write mails for non-English
speakers and will decrease the traffic in the main mailing
list. Actually I have been running a mailing list in Japan for years
and now it has +4000 subscribers. I believe this kind of thing has
been already done in the world (maybe Japan, Russia ...?), but I think
we should encourage them more, like having pointers to such lists on
the pgsql web site.
--
Tatsuo Ishii