Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

From: Paul M Foster <paulf(at)quillandmouse(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?
Date: 2001-02-17 07:41:38
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 09:36:23AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

<snip>

> Funny you should mention PHP. I talked to Rasmus about the email volume
> when I first met him in the fall. He said the volume of email is so
> great that just reading the subject lines takes a long time.
>
> We aren't there yet, but we are heading in that direction. One thing
> some of us have done are to take full-time jobs with PostgreSQL so we
> can handle the increased load. Second, I have started to skip emails
> with subjects that contain obvious questions, relying on other users to
> answer these. When several people post on the easy question, I start to
> suspect there is some issue there and start reading.

This could eventually be handled the way they do with Usenet lists. When
the volume finally gets too high, split the lists into more specialized
sub-lists. (Though obviously you want to continue to improve the docs as
well.)

The busiest list I was ever on was the debian-help list. This one might
be even busier.

Paul