Sluggish inserts/updates ?

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sluggish inserts/updates ?
Date: 2001-02-07 19:27:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've got a system in which a row is being created by one process,
a notify is sent, and another process finds and then deletes the
row. This whole interchange seems to be taking about a second, which
seems oddly slow. As far as I know, I have the fsync-on-anything
turned off (*).

I'm mainly wondering if I should index/not index the key of the
table, and if I should blame the hardware or Postgres? The hard
drive on the R&D server is pretty slow, although the CPU is pretty
dang fast. I could also blame the notification system but that
shouldn't be a problem, right?

* Is there a good way to find out if this option is on/off?

--
Adam Haberlach |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com |deep, passionate, and profound desire for