Re: Re: [GENERAL] Trouble porting postgreSQL to WinNT

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [GENERAL] Trouble porting postgreSQL to WinNT
Date: 2001-01-30 20:07:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:41:11AM -0800, Barry Lind wrote:
> Yes I had the same problem, but for me the reason was that I forgot to
> start the ipc-daemon before running initdb. Last night I had no
> problems installing beta4 on WinNT 4.0.

Also, AFAICT, ipc-daemon must be running under the same NT logon as
the logon that you're using to run initdb (or postmaster), or else
you'll see initdb hang (but use lots of CPU).

This a major PITA for me, because I went by the book (figuratively)
and set up the postgres service to run under a 'postgres' NT logon
account created for just that purpose. That means I have to run
ipc-daemon logged on as postgres as well. That's not so bad, but now
when I want to run 'make check' to run regression tests I have to
logon as postgres to do that as well (since the tests run initdb and
postmaster). Since Cygwin doesn't have any su/sudo (again, AFAICT)
this means logging off my usual development logon, losing all my
pretty windows, and into the postgres login. (Makes me appreciate
Linux all the more, as if I needed that.)

I don't understand why a single ipc-daemon process can't serve
processes for multiple NT logons at once. Or can it, and I just don't
have it set up right?

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant www.OntoSys.com fax: +1.630.879.1370