Re: Pg default's verbosity?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pg default's verbosity?
Date: 2012-06-16 15:30:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> [ errors in SQL scripts fed to psql are easily missed ]

> So I would suggest the following todos:
> 1 - change the default verbosity to "warning".

The argument for defaulting to NOTICE is the same as it's always been:
that those messages are really intended for novices, and a pretty good
definition of a novice is somebody who doesn't know how to (or that he
should) change the verbosity setting. So if we don't show notices by
default, they will be unavailable to exactly the people who need them.
Your proposal does not overcome this argument.

Besides, I'm not convinced that changing client_min_messages in
isolation would do much for the problem, because psql is still pretty
chatty by itself; you really need -q to have any hope that important
messages didn't scroll off your screen. Perhaps it would be sensible to
have the -q switch also execute "set client_min_messages = warning", and
recommend that people use that when running allegedly-debugged scripts?

> 2 - change -1 to work on stdin as well instead of being ignored,
> or provide another option that would do that.

Yeah, if that doesn't work already, it would be sane to make it do so,
at least for non-tty stdin. It seems like a fairly bad idea for
interactive stdin, though.