Re: Beta1 starting date?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beta1 starting date?
Date: 2000-12-30 07:41:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Since there are going to already be a number of fixes in beta2, I will
> wait until beta2 to release any RPM's. I am also continuing to get
> feedback about the packaging -- many thanks to all who are participating
> in that discussion! I remember the one or two comments I got on the 7.0
> RPM changes (from 6.5), and the change is positive this time.
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

I would like to make a comment on the stop script in the RPMS. It uses
killproc function to kill postmaster. killproc sends SIGTERM to stop
postmaster. It's good. However if postmaster won't die (for example,
some users are still using psql), it then sends SIGKILL signal to
postmaster. This is extremely dangerous since there is no chance for
postmaster to clean up resources in this case. I think the signal
number should be SIGINT (fast shutdown) or SIGQUIT (immediate
shutdown).
--
Tatsuo Ishii