Re: more multibyte/After TGL...

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more multibyte/After TGL...
Date: 2000-10-29 14:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> [001029 05:48]:
> Larry Rosenman writes:
>
> > YUP, it's LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> That's odd. On my system (and on all others that I've heard of that have
> it) this only affects the runtime linker, not the "ld" linker.
Maybe, but here is the tail end of ld's man page:
The environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be used to specify
library search directories. In the most general case, it will
contain
two directory lists separated by a semicolon:
dirlist1;dirlist2

Thus, if ld is called with the following occurrences of -L:
ld . . . -Lpath1 . . . -Lpathn . . . -lx

then the search path ordering for the library x (libx.so or libx.a)
is:
dirlist1 path1 . . . pathn dirlist2 LIBPATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also used to specify library search directories
the dynamic linker at run time. That is, if LD_LIBRARY_PATH exists
in
the environment, the dynamic linker will search the directories it
names before its default directory for shared objects to be linked
with the program at execution.

Additionally, the environment variable LD_RUN_PATH (which also
contains a directory list) may be used to specify library search
directories to the dynamic linker. If present and not empty, it is
passed to the dynamic linker by ld via data stored in the output
object file. LD_RUN_PATH is ignored if building a shared object.
The
paths it specifies are searched by the dynamic linker before those
specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH. LD_RUN_PATH is obsolete. Its use is
discouraged in favor of the -R option to ld. If -R is specified,
LD_RUN_PATH is ignored.

Files

libx.so
libraries
libx.a
libraries
a.out
output file
LIBPATH
usually /usr/ccs/lib:/usr/lib
/usr/lib/local/locale/LC_MESSAGES/uxcds
language-specific message file [See LANG on environ(5).]