Re: newbie question: ERROR: getattproperties: no attribute tuple 1259 -2

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: vogt(at)arborhost(dot)com
Subject: Re: newbie question: ERROR: getattproperties: no attribute tuple 1259 -2
Date: 2000-10-28 17:19:33
Lists: pgsql-general

* Robert Vogt IV <vogt(at)arborhost(dot)com> [001028 12:10]:
[SNIP]
> By the way- does anybody know of any resources related to securing
> databases. We'd like to only allow certain users access to each database,
> but cannot find the appropriate section in any of the documentation pages.
Look at pg_hba.conf in your data directory. Here is mine from 7.0.2:
# cat pg_hba.conf
#
# Example PostgreSQL host access control file.
#
#
# This file controls what hosts are allowed to connect to what
# databases
# and specifies some options on how users on a particular host are
# identified.
# It is read each time a host tries to make a connection to a
# database.
#
# Each line (terminated by a newline character) is a record. A record
# cannot
# be continued across two lines.
#
# There are 3 kinds of records:
#
# 1) comment: Starts with #.
#
# 2) empty: Contains nothing excepting spaces and tabs.
#
# 3) content: anything else.
#
# Unless specified otherwise, "record" from here on means a content
# record.
#
# A record consists of tokens separated by spaces or tabs. Spaces and
# tabs at the beginning and end of a record are ignored as are extra
# spaces and tabs between two tokens.
#
# The first token in a record is the record type. The interpretation
# of the
# rest of the record depends on the record type.
#
# Record type "host"
# ------------------
#
# This record identifies a set of network hosts that are permitted to
# connect
# to databases. No network hosts are permitted to connect except as
# specified
# by a "host" record. See the record type "local" to specify
# permitted
# connections using UNIX sockets.
#
# Format:
#
# host DBNAME IP_ADDRESS ADDRESS_MASK USERAUTH [AUTH_ARGUMENT]
#
# DBNAME is the name of a PostgreSQL database, "all" to indicate all
# databases, or "sameuser" to restrict a user's access to a database
# with the same user name.
#
# IP_ADDRESS and ADDRESS_MASK are a standard dotted decimal IP address
# and
# mask to identify a set of hosts. These hosts are allowed to connect
# Database DBNAME.
#
# USERAUTH is a keyword indicating the method used to authenticate the
# user, i.e. to determine that the principal is authorized to connect
# under the PostgreSQL username he supplies in his connection
# parameters.
#
# ident: Authentication is done by the ident server on the remote
# host, via the ident (RFC 1413) protocol. AUTH_ARGUMENT,
# if
# specified, is a map name to be found in the pg_ident.conf
# file.
# That table maps from ident usernames to PostgreSQL
# usernames. The
# special map name "sameuser" indicates an implied map (not
# found
# in pg_ident.conf) that maps every ident username to the
# identical
# PostgreSQL username.
#
# trust: No authentication is done. Trust that the user has the
# authority to use whatever username he specifies. Before
# PostgreSQL version 6, all authentication was done this
# way.
#
# reject: Reject the connection.
#
# password: Authentication is done by matching a password supplied
# in clear
# by the host. If AUTH_ARGUMENT is specified then the
# password
# is compared with the user's entry in that file (in the
# $PGDATA
# directory). See pg_passwd(1). If it is omitted then
# the
# password is compared with the user's entry in the
# pg_shadow
# table.
#
# crypt: Authentication is done by matching an encrypted password
# supplied
# by the host with that held for the user in the pg_shadow
# table.
#
# krb4: Kerberos V4 authentication is used.
#
# krb5: Kerberos V5 authentication is used.

# Record type "hostssl"
# ---------------------
#
# This record identifies the authentication to use when connecting to
# a
# particular database via TCP/IP sockets over SSL. Note that normal
# "host" records are also matched - "hostssl" records can be used to
# require a SSL connection.
# This keyword is only available if the server is compiled with SSL
# support
# enabled.
#
# The format of this record is identical to that of "host".

# Record type "local"
# ------------------
#
# This record identifies the authentication to use when connecting to
# a
# particular database via a local UNIX socket.
#
# Format:
#
# local DBNAME USERAUTH [AUTH_ARGUMENT]
#
# The format is the same as that of the "host" record type except that
# the
# IP_ADDRESS and ADDRESS_MASK are omitted and the "ident", "krb4" and
# "krb5"
# values of USERAUTH are not allowed.

# For backwards compatibility, PostgreSQL also accepts pre-version 6
# records,
# which look like:
#
# all 127.0.0.1 0.0.0.0

# TYPE DATABASE IP_ADDRESS MASK USERAUTH MAP

#host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

# The above allows any user on the local system to connect to any
# database
# under any username.

#host template1 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 ident
sameuser

# The above allows any user from any host with IP address 192.168.0.x
# connect to database template1 as the same username that ident on
# that host
# identifies him as (typically his Unix username).

#host all 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 reject
#host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 trust

# The above would allow anyone anywhere except from 192.168.0.1 to
# connect to
# any database under any username.

#host all 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 ident
omicron
#
# The above would allow users from 192.168.0.x hosts to connect to any
# database, but if Ident says the user is "bryanh" and he requests to
# connect as PostgreSQL user "guest1", the connection is only allowed
# if
# there is an entry for map "omicron" in pg_ident.conf that says
# "bryanh" is
# allowed to connect as "guest1".

# By default, allow anything over UNIX domain sockets and localhost.

local all trust
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all 207.158.72.11 255.255.255.255 trust
host all 207.158.72.45 255.255.255.255 trust
#

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org