[patch,rfc] binary operators on integers

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [patch,rfc] binary operators on integers
Date: 2000-09-20 19:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well, I was interested in binary operators on integers
and as Peter suggested that I should look into it
myself, so I did it.

Choice of operators:

~ - not
& - and
# - xor - I like it :)
| - or

Things I am unsure of:

1) Precedence. I quite nonscientifically hacked in gram.y,
and could not still make it understand expression '5 # ~1'
nor the precedence between '&' and '|#'...

At the moment all the gram.y changes could be dropped and
it works ok, but without operator precedence. Any hints?

2) Choice of oids. I took 1890 - 1913. Should I have taken
directly from 1874 upwards, or somewhere else?

3) Choice of operators. As I understand the '^' is taken,
I wont get it. Now, in gram.y I found that the '|' is
used in weird situations and with weird precedence so
maybe I should use something else for OR too?

4) Is anybody else interested? ;)

I would like to get comments/further hints on this...

--
marko

Attachment Content-Type Size
binops.diff text/plain 11.3 KB