select on macaddr field type yields incorrect response

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: select on macaddr field type yields incorrect response
Date: 2000-09-01 15:54:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jeff MacDonald (jam(at)dts(dot)emich(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
select on macaddr field type yields incorrect response

Long Description
I have a table with several hundred records. In this table is a field of type "macaddr". When I do a select on this table for a specific macaddress, I get incorrect results.

The specific query is:
select adapteraddress from users where adapteraddress='00:c0:f0:26:30:4c';

the results I get:
00:c0:f0:2b:30:4c

so, the 4th octet is being corrupted somehow.

I have tried various query strings to see if uppercase or lowercase, or dashes vs. colons between the octets might be causing the problem, but I get the same results every time. The server side is 6.5.3. I have duplicated this problem with the python module from the 7.0.2 distribution as well as with the pgsql utility (both 6.5.3 and 7.0.2)

the application that is using this table is in production, so I need to move carefully if the solution is to upgrade to 7.x.

At the moment the problem is preventing a user from registering their macaddress with our service, which is preventing them from using their internet connection from their residence hall room. I'd like to move as quickly as possible to get this resolved.. somehow.

thanks in advance.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report