Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)biology(dot)nmsu(dot)edu>
To: mhh(at)nortelnetworks(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?
Date: 2000-08-22 20:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

This is probably wrong, but could it be the length of the name?

Try replacing 'english' with some other seven letters e.g.
precipitation_abdefgh_verify

Good guess, but I'm still confused. precipitation_abcdefgh_verify
does not work; precipitation_abcdef_verify does. The latter is 27
characters. I thought identifiers could be 32 before truncation
occurred (and for tables the name is just truncated anyway but
otherwise unchanged).

Does the backend add something to a view identifier to push it over 32
characters? Is that added as a prefix or a suffix? If the latter,
perhaps it should be a prefix? Or is the problem with the select rule
formed by CREATE VIEW? If the latter, should there be different
truncation rules for view names than for table names so that the
associated rule and table names have the appropriate relationship?

Cheers,
Brook