Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Brook Milligan <brook(at)biology(dot)nmsu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: when does CREATE VIEW not create a view?
Date: 2000-08-22 20:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Brook,
This smells like a identifier length limit problem to me. Let's see:

precipitation_english_verify is 29 characters, default NAMEDATALEN is
32. Creating a view creates a table, and attaches a SELCT DO INSTEAD
rule to it, named _RET<tablename>, so that tacks 4 characters on, giving
us 29+4 = 33, bingo, rule doesn't get made. All your other attemps were
longer, except for xxx. You'll find that replacing english with xxxxxxx
won't work, either (and it's not the vchip).

Sounds like a missing error check, or truncation, in the CREATE VIEW
rule generation code.

Ross

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer