Re: Hmm, should ACL[] be toastable?

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hmm, should ACL[] be toastable?
Date: 2000-07-29 23:23:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I notice that ACL lists are represented as arrays of aclitem, which
> means they are now theoretically toastable. (In practice, I haven't
> finished fixing all the routines that touch ACLs, but will soon.)
>
> Do we need long lists of ACLs? If so, is there any danger in giving
> pg_class a toast relation? It's a tad closer to the heart of the
> system than pg_rewrite, so I'm not quite sure if that will work or
> not. Jan?

In theory it should work, in practice, I don't know.

Since pg_class is really close to the heart of the system, it
is created a little different during bootstrap. This causes,
that setting relacl to storage 'x' doesn't automatically
create a toast relation for it during bootstrap. And
therefore, the toaster should only try to compress, never
move out (to where?).

Someone could later create such a toast table with ALTER
TABLE ... if he wants to give it a try. And we could warn
him not to do so before we really stress tested it.

Is that a compromise?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #