Re: storing large amounts of text

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: storing large amounts of text
Date: 2000-04-24 16:42:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Just to give everyone here a head's up as to what's coming: The developers
have long known that the size limit on tuple storage (particularly as it
affects the 'text' type) needs to go away, and that the existing large
objects (lo) are less than ideal as a work around. Jan Wieck has done
the inital plan and development of a generic replacement: the Oversized
Tuple Storage Technique (TOAST).

http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html

This system allows automatic compression and/or external storage of
any datatype, directly in the database. It's still in development, but
Jan has recently released a snapshot, so it's past the initial planning
stages. For now, we'll all have to make do with lo or external file store,
but there is hope on the horizon...

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer