Re: storing large amounts of text

From: Titus Brown <titus(at)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Paul Dlug <paul(at)nerdlabs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: storing large amounts of text
Date: 2000-04-22 22:32:32
Lists: pgsql-general

-> I'm sure this has come up before because it just logically seems like
-> others would have run up against this too. Is it possible to store a
-> large amount of text in a row/field? I want to store articles in the
-> database along with information about them, sort of a content databasing
-> system. Can anyone reccommend a good way to go about doing this in
-> Postgres? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

I'm doing this for a genome project; you need to look into large object
functionality if you want to store anything larger than 8kb in PostgreSQL.

This is pretty inconvenient to do, because it's slow to search (I had
to write my own search routine; it's at

http://www.idyll.org/~t/www-tools/

along with some other stuff for AOLserver/large objects) and you have
to use a special program to dump the large objects (again, contact me,
or refer to the archives).

Several people have recommended that you store the files themselves on
your file system and have just the indices be kept in the database. That
should work as well, and I'll actually be looking into it today.

cheers,
--titus