Re: [GENERAL] Re: [General] pgsql on win95

From: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: Ron Chmara <ron(at)opus1(dot)com>, Elmar(dot)Haneke(at)gmx(dot)de, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [General] pgsql on win95
Date: 2000-02-26 10:38:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, root wrote:
>
> # > I'm writing this email to you from a notebook. Running Linux. And Postgres.
> # > :-) So, it's already being done (Notebooks aren't the issue here, I believe
> # > it's an issue of OS choices).
> #
> # There're still some Windows'95 and Windows'98 users out there in the
> # world ...
>
> I'm not convinced that this is a reason to run a database server
> on it. I don't think anyone would complain if someone ported postgres to
> Windows, but it seems like a silly exercise. I've got a few macs around
> the house, but I'm in no way interested in using them as data servers.

We're writing a software system for the sales-management of a company
and we use PostgreSQL on the company-server for this software system.

Now the people are asking us, if they could get this system on their
laptops - to have this system during traveling, too -- with much less
data of course. These people have Windows'95 or Windows'98 on their
laptops and not NT or even Linux.

Therefore our system has to be written to run with several databases
and at least via ODBC to an MS-Access database or any other flat file
system.

That's life :-)

Marten