Re: DROP SUBSCRIPTION, query cancellations and slot handling

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Date: 2017-04-20 21:25:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/20/17 08:41, Michael Paquier wrote:
> As subscription is a self-contained concept, it seems to me that any
> errors happening should at least try to do some cleanup action before
> just giving up processing, that would be a less frustrating
> experience.

This is the way it's designed.

The alternative is to do what we currently do for physical replication,
namely requiring the user to set up all the replication slots manually
beforehand. I don't think that's a better experience. There was a
thread about having pg_basebackup automatically create replication
slots. That will have to deal with the same issues.