Re: php + postgresql

From: "Bill Wordsworth" <bill(dot)wordsworth(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php + postgresql
Date: 2008-07-26 16:07:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:43 AM, admin <mick(at)mjhall(dot)org> wrote:
> Re the possible heightened level of animosity to PHP in PG circles, if it
> exists, could it have anything to do with PHP's close association with
> MySql? The animosity, by the way, seems to go both ways, I think I saw
> something about Rasmus Lerdorf bagging PostgreSQL on Slashdot(?) recently.

Yes let's stop bluffing and come out with the *real* reason: PHP/Zend
better support MySQL and both have scratched each others back via the
famous LAMP stack. But instead of thinking of better ways for
cooperation, this has caused certain jealousy in some circles,
something like "But I am so much better and so I should have enjoyed
that fame. This is not fair!". And *that* is the real reason why any
question on PHP on this list never goes without a shot at PHP.

PHP is faster than Python, has a smaller memory foot-print than
Python, has better SOAP features than Python, and is better suited for
the web than Python. Python is better suited for the
cli/mac/desktop/phone.

And nobody made Engineers the boss of us. We also can't compare
Database v Language, that MySQL = PHP where PostgreSQL = Language of
Your Choice. We can like PHP *and* PostgreSQL and stand up for both.
Cheers, Bill