Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)

From: "Willy-Bas Loos" <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)
Date: 2008-11-28 14:25:53
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

> *thinks* - I wonder if we can use RETURNING for that now...

> How? If there is no RETURNING present in the command...

I'm not sure if this is all possible, but you might:
o make all editable views editable in pgAdmin as an option (costs
performance i guess, maybe some unexpected results if the rules do strange
things)
o if there are on update rules present, allow editing the values. After
leaving the row refresh the row.
o if there are on delete rules present, allow deleting rows. After deleting
rows, check if they exist, if so refresh them.
o if there are on insert rules present.. dang, don't know how to do that.
Act the same way you do when inserting in a normal table i guess.

Of course the rule may do something completely unexpected, of which pgAdmin
would know nothing. In that case you might have to press the refresh button
a lot. Maybe make a guru hint out of that.
But i think that any sensible use would be enabled by this.

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw