Re: range_agg

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: range_agg
Date: 2019-08-21 05:33:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2019-08-17 at 10:47 -0700, Paul A Jungwirth wrote:
> So I'm wondering how seriously I should take this for multiranges? I
> guess if a range type did support typmods, it would just delegate to
> the underlying element type for their meaning, and so a multirange
> should delegate it too? Is there any historical discussion around
> typemods on range types?

I did find a few references:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1288029716.8645.4.camel%40jdavis-ux.asterdata.local

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20110111191334.GB11603%40fetter.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1296974485.27157.136.camel@jdavis

I'd be interested in ways that we can use a typmod-like concept to
improve the type system. Unfortunately, typmod is just not
sophisticated enough to do very much because it's lost through function
calls. Improving that would be a separate and challenging project.

So, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on typmod for multiranges.

Regards,
Jeff Davis