Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Luis Carril <luis(dot)carril(at)swarm64(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump
Date: 2020-03-24 06:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 23 Mar 2020, at 21:40, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't understand why this code specifically disallows the empty string
> as an option to --dump-foreign-data. The other pattern-matching options
> don't do that. This seems to have been added in response to Daniel's
> review[1], but I don't quite understand the rationale. No other option
> behaves that way. I'm inclined to remove that, and I have done so in
> this version.

It was a response to the discussion upthread about not allowing a blanket dump-
everything statement for foreign data, but rather require some form of opt-in.
The empty string made the code wildcard to all foreign data, which was thought
of as being a footgun for creating problematic dumps.

cheers ./daniel