Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-01-10 05:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.01.2023 at 23:28, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2023 15:18:18 -0500
>> It's probably going to be necessary to have follow-on patches,
>> because I'm sure there is stuff in the pipeline that adds more
>> ID-less tags. Or do we have a way to create warnings about that?
> I am unclear on how to make warnings with xslt. You can make
> a listing of problems, but who would read it if the build
> completed successfully? You can make errors and abort.

You can emit warnings to the command line or you can abort with an
error. I've opted for warnings + comments in the output in the styling
patch.

The biggest issue about errors and warnings is the fact that xslt does
not process files in a line-based way which makes it pretty much
impossible to give hints where the problem causing the warning is
located. Since everything is bound together via XML entities, you can't
even tell the source file.

I've worked around this by also emitting an HTML comment to the output
so that I can find a somewhat unique string next to it and the grep the
documentation sources for this string. It's a bit ugly but the best I
could come up with.

I'll repost a rebased version of the styling patch in a minute.

Regards,

Brar