Setting up Postgres for production web/db work

From: Charles Martin <martin_pgsql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Setting up Postgres for production web/db work
Date: 1999-12-27 18:46:48
Lists: pgsql-general

We are about to set up a production web/db site with
Apache 1.3.9, PHP 3.0.12, and PostgreSQL 6.5.2. The
platform is a single-cpu Dell server running FreeBSD
3.4-STABLE. I have looked but have not seen anything
with recommendations for how to set up Postgres for a
production site.

For example, is:

% postmaster

the preferred invocation? Should we be specifying
something about the memory usage, number of processes,
etc? Is there a FAQ for how to set up cron jobs to do
nightly dumps and etc with maximal efficiency? Should
we be vaccuuming regularly, and do we need to take the
db offline to do so? Etc.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!