Re: [INTERFACES] ERROR: cannot find attribute 1 of relation pg_temp.460.0

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ERROR: cannot find attribute 1 of relation pg_temp.460.0
Date: 1999-11-29 08:44:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 06:45:26PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I believe this is triggered by ecpg's autocommit feature, and that
> you could work around it by ensuring that at least one commit occurs
> between creation of the temp table and application exit. It looks

IMO the naming of autocommit is all but a good one.

There is only one way to commit a transaction in ecpg and that's by issuing
a COMMIT resp. END WORK statement. The only difference between the two ways
of operation in ecpg is how to start a transaction.

With AUTOCOMMIT set to ON a transaction is started only via a BEGIN WORK
statement. Ot in other words if you do not start a transaction each
statement is its own one and thus autocommitted. If AUTOCOMMIT is set to OFF
ecpg always starts a new transaction after a COMMIT resp. a ROLLBACK.

> like 6.5.* gets confused if it has to delete a never-yet-committed
> temp table :-(.

Yes, this looks like there is no commit after the create and AUTOCOMMIT is
set to OFF (default).

Michael
--
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!