Re: [ANNOUNCE] New PostgreSQL book on web site

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Good <tomg(at)mailhost(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, paul(dot)becker(at)awl(dot)com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New PostgreSQL book on web site
Date: 1999-10-28 15:10:06
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-docs pgsql-general

> Bruce,
>
> Is this book to be available online *after* publication? Just curious
> as the FreeBSD guide is NOT due to copyright restrictions...and I view
> that as rather unfortunate. (It would be cool if Marc could include
> it on future PG cd's.) Anyway, looks good so far!

I can't imagine removing it after the book is published, though I have
not specifically discussed that with the publisher. I said I would like
to have it available on the web, and they said, "Sure, it helps book
sales."

I am CC'ing the publisher for a comment.

> Useless suggestion:
>
> I'd jazz up the title abit. Maybe the 'Official Guide to Programming
> (and Using) PostgreSQL'...after all your authoring this tome makes it
> official and that carries more weight than some fellow at Que writing
> a `Teach Yourself Postgres In 24 Hours'. (I like a bit of alliteration
> so the `Programming PostgreSQL' works for me. ;-)

I liked "PostgreSQL Handbook", but this is Addision, Wesley, not Sam's.

They pick the title, and they have chosen a muted, dignified one. The
title is not final, so it may change.