Re: [HACKERS] Current source from CVS won't compile.

From: Mike Mascari <mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current source from CVS won't compile.
Date: 1999-10-26 17:16:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--- Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Yes.
> >
> > This is my fault. Sorry. Attached is a patch which fixes the problem.
> > I missed adding the rule to make parse.h to the Makefile for
> > the ../backend/commands. It also allows for comments to be dropped
> > using IS NULL as well as IS '';
> >

> Can we use only NULL, and not '' please? Seems clearer. I don't like
> us of '' for any special handling. Thanks.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
> 19026

I agree with you, an empty string is a goofy way to drop a comment.
The only reason I did it that way was because that's how Oracle does
it (heck, why not create comment on, drop comment on). The question is,
what should the behavior be when a user supplies an empty string?

COMMENT ON TABLE employees IS '';

Should the above add an empty comment to pg_description?

Its up to you... :-)

Mike Mascari
(mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com)

=====