ORACLE COMMENT statement

From: Mike Mascari <mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ORACLE COMMENT statement
Date: 1999-10-15 01:31:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Bruce,

I've just submitted a patch to the patches list which
implements Oracle's COMMENT statement. It will
insert/update/delete the appropriate OID for the
table or column targeted for the comment. It should
apply cleanly against current. If it passes your
scrutiny, I was wondering a couple of things:

1. Might it be possible for psql
(a.k.a Peter Eisentraut) to display the comments
associated with tables, views, and columns in
its \d output? Or perhaps another \ command?

2. Should I write up SGML for it (as well as for
TRUNCATE TABLE)?

3. Should I expand it beyond ORACLE's syntax to
include functions, types, triggers, rules, etc.?

On the TODO list its listed as:

Allow pg_descriptions when creating types, tables,
columns, and functions

Anyways,

Hope its worth something,

Mike Mascari