Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.2

From: Massimo Dal Zotto <dz(at)wizard(dot)net>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hackers)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.2
Date: 1999-09-03 20:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I don't much care for QueryLimit (we got rid of that for a reason!)
> > > nor for the FREE_TUPLE_MEMORY patch, but the rest of this looks safe
> > > enough... but are we in the business of adding features to 6.5.*,
> > > even little ones? Maybe it should only go in current.
> >
> > 6.5.x is supposed to be *only* fixes, no new features...but I'm curious as
> > to why these never got into v6.5.0 in the first place...
> >

> I applied the safe ones, like the copy.c one. People objected to most
> of the others, for reasons I have forgotten.

Most objections were beacause they were submitted just before the release
date of 6.5.0. Now three months have passed.
Which were the unsafe pathes? If an unsafe patch is one that can break
some essential piece of code I would classify them in the following way:

array safe, important bug fix to my contrib

contrib safe, changes to makefiles in my contrib

copy-cancel-query safe, it can't break anything unless you hit ^C

emacs-vars safe, only cosmetic changes required by emacs20

free-tuple-mem safe, it is under #ifdef and disabled by default.
I won't recommend enabling it in a production
environment, but it could be the solution of many
headaches for some people, like my old sinval
patch.

psql-readline safe, it just sets a readline documented variable

set-variable mostly safe, except the queryLimit stuff which can
be removed if you don't trust it.
The pg_options variable can be set only by the
superuser.

If you don't like the queryLimit stuff I can send you a new patch for the
pg_options variable only.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

| Massimo Dal Zotto email: dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |
| Via Marconi, 141 phone: ++39-0461534251 |
| 38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN) www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/ |
| Italy pgp: finger dz(at)tango(dot)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |