Re: [HACKERS] please?

From: Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: theo(at)flame(dot)co(dot)za, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] please?
Date: 1999-05-31 20:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>

> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know of any SQL databases that allow non-blocking lock requests.
> > >

> > Oracle OCI has oopt() and Informix Online has dirty read that do the trick for
> > me.
> > --------
>
> Please give me more information. How does dirty read fix the problem?

This all sounds like the Oracle NOWAIT option.

Session1.

SQL> select value from sys_param where name = 'ASG_SYSTEM_DESC' for update;

VALUE
tpwmamda

SQL>

Session2.

SQL> select value from sys_param where name = 'ASG_SYSTEM_DESC' for update nowait;
ERROR:
ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified

no rows selected

SQL>

No idea how to impliment it though!!