Re: [HACKERS] Daemon News article

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Daemon News article
Date: 1999-05-29 22:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> At 11:07 AM -0700 5/29/99, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >I have gotten the OK from Daemon News to publish the article I posted a
> >few days ago. The original is our web site. Any comments before I
> >release it. I will wait a few days.
>
> The quote from Jolly Chen does not seem consistent with Eric Raymond's
> analysis in "The Cathedral and the Bazzar." Since the latter is pretty
> well known, I would expect it to provoke disagreement unless it can be
> justified or explained a bit more.

I totally agree that it is inconsistent, but I have never felt Rayond
was 100% correct. While I don't believe developers should have a
'holier than thow' attitude (and I don't think we have), most patches
from people who did not take the time to figure out how things worked
were a disaster if applied. If we don't have reliability, we have
nothing in the db world, and a bazzar is not reliable.

Perhaps I should add some text in there to address this. Good point.