Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: Duane Currie <dcurrie(at)sandman(dot)acadiau(dot)ca>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-14 23:40:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> > > My experience is that for pretty much every pro, there is a
> > > con...what are we losing with ORBit that we'd have with mico? Short
> > > and/or long term? mico is reputed to be Corba 2.2 compliant..orbit?
> >
> > In the short term we lose lots of functions with ORBit. In the long run
> > however we win performance.
>
> I was talking with a friend of mine down here, that I was *hoping*
> would have posted by now since I really really hate translating what
> someone else said, but...

ok, ok, Marc... you've got me into it now... :)

I started thinking about that talking to Marc about the CORBA ORB issue.
GNOME wants ORBit, BSD'ers want mico, linux'ers want omniorb, etc...
(forgive any possible generalizations above)

Basically what I was saying to Marc is that the really ORB-dependent part
of CORBA is the IDL-to-<language> mappings. The logic of the CORBA object
can be implemented as a normal object independent of the compiled stub.
Then, all that has to be done is to fill in the stubs with code that
acts as an adaptor to the ORB-independent object. That way porting to
another ORB should be trivial.

Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong... :)

I do like the idea of using CORBA to access postgreSQL. There is the
obvious advantage of not having to worry about porting libpg to every
system and language. CORBA ORB vendors/developers can take care of that.

What really makes me curious is what the object's interface will be...
Just a clone of libpg, or something more?... I think someone earlier
mentioned possibly doing things like directly referencing "objects."
I think that the use of CORBA could allow for much more functionality
than a classical SQL RDBMS interface. I don't know that much about the
backend, but it could be interesting to throw some ideas back and forth
about what could be done with the interface.

I would personally prefer to have a more natural OO interface to
the database, possibly expanding on the idea of being able to directly
reference objects (and hold the reference to them).

Duane

Duane Currie (dcurrie(at)sandman(dot)acadiau(dot)ca)
Unix System Administrator/Software Developer
Acadia Institute for Teaching and Technology