New INET and CIDR types

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: New INET and CIDR types
Date: 1998-10-21 06:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have recieved the files from D'Arcy for new INET and CIDR types. INET
is use for hosts, while CIDR for networks. No duplicate code. CIDR
behaves the same as INET, except for a different input function. The
system catalogs take care of the mapping of CIDR to INET functions.

It will require an initdb for beta users moving to 6.4 final. Is this
OK? If so, I will apply it tomorrow. If not, the type will have to be
disabled for 6.4.

The big question is how many people have _live_ data in 6.4 beta
databases, who don't want to initdb for 6.4 final, and can't use
pg_upgrade to move to 6.4 final.

If I don't hear any objections, I will do it some time around noon
tomorrow, EST.