Re: [GENERAL] Limit on multi-field indexes?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au (Stephen Davies)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Limit on multi-field indexes?
Date: 1998-09-23 04:01:00
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > Am I correct in believing that there is a limit of seven columns in a
> > > multi-filed index?
> > >
> > > If so, is it possible to increase this limit (to at least eight) ?
> > >
> > > Cheers and thanks,
> >
> > Not easily. The columns are stored in an int28 column, that holds 8
> > two-byte integer. We would have to change that to a larger field. Very
> > few people have asked for this.
> >
> Getting desperate here.
>
> If it holds 8 integers, why can't I have 8 columns in a multi-field index?
>
> I am currently writing a tool to replicate any database to a PostgreSQL mirror
> and the very first customer for this tool has several tables with 8 fields in
> their primary key. Sod's Law:-((

There is no field in pg_index to determine the number of fields in the
index, so it scans pg_index.indkey until it hits a 0. Now, I suppose we
could change the code so it goes through indkey until it gets a 0, or
reaches the eighth entry.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026