Re: [GENERAL] Limit on multi-field indexes?

From: Stephen Davies <scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Limit on multi-field indexes?
Date: 1998-09-23 00:01:35
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Am I correct in believing that there is a limit of seven columns in a
> > multi-filed index?
> >
> > If so, is it possible to increase this limit (to at least eight) ?
> >
> > Cheers and thanks,
>
> Not easily. The columns are stored in an int28 column, that holds 8
> two-byte integer. We would have to change that to a larger field. Very
> few people have asked for this.

Getting desperate here.

If it holds 8 integers, why can't I have 8 columns in a multi-field index?

I am currently writing a tool to replicate any database to a PostgreSQL mirror
and the very first customer for this tool has several tables with 8 fields in
their primary key. Sod's Law:-((

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen.

Stephen Davies Consulting scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide, South Australia. Voice: 61-8-82728863
Computing & Network solutions. Fax: 61-8-82741015