Re: CIDR/IP types. Was: [GENERAL] big numbers]

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tih(at)nhh(dot)no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo)
Cc: djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com, lorhuerta(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: CIDR/IP types. Was: [GENERAL] big numbers]
Date: 1998-09-04 14:28:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
> > The person who said they were going to work on the IP type has not
> > responded to my requests for a status, and nothing has been added in
> > that area in 6.4.
>
> That would be me. What I said was that it looked like the thing to do
> was to pick the best ideas the three implementations available, and
> that I, at least, would be doing that for my local needs. I still
> plan to do that, but having recently become a father for the first
> time, and having lots of projects going at work, I haven't found time
> yet. Unless someone beats me to it, I will be doing this soon, and
> probably within the next couple of weeks, but obviously not in time
> for the 6.4 beta period. Besides, I have no idea how to integrate a
> new type as a built-in type, so someone else would have to do that.

I would be glad to help with integrating it. We need a decision,
people. Who do we want to do this, and how are we going to handle
integrating this into the beta, if we want to?

BTW, does pg_upgrade work for people. That may be a quick fix for the
beta people to get these new system types WITHOUT dump/reload.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026