Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com (David Hartwig)
Cc: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, dg(at)illustra(dot)com, tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Date: 1998-05-26 15:50:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> --------------929DA74C986399373CF663B0
>
> Yikes!
>
> I see my little patch as stirred things up a bit. Bruce, your addition does meet the needs of the
> intent of my patch. I tried it here with positive results. I hope you will keep the whole patch.

I was wondering, should the patch be:

if (j->jf_cleanTupType)
tupType = j->jf_cleanTupType;

rather than my current:

if (operation == CMD_SELECT)
tupType = j->jf_cleanTupType;

Not sure.

> For what it is worth, I did run the regression test. But I did not get any failures that appeared to
> be the a result of the patch. There were, however, many failures before and after my patch. Most
> were due to AIX system messages but there many, though, I could not explain. I will gladly report them
> if any one is interested.

This brings up an interesting point that bears comment. There has been
discussion about how to better review these patches. Certainly, the
patch list is for general review, and many people use that for requests
for people to review their patches. I even post small patches for
review to hackers when I really need help.

Second, many bugs do not show up in the regression tests, and often the
only way to find the cause is to try checking/backing out recent
patches. cvs allows us to revert our tree to any date in the past, and
that works well too.

I have been more concerned about a patch that works, but adds some ugly
hack that causes performance/random problems. That is where my review
eye is usually looking.

> I have to admit that I was nervous about submitting my first patch into an area code as important this
> one. I would have liked to start off with a new data type or something. Unfortunately, I was
> getting beat up by ODBC/MS Access users which routinely generate queries which the backend could not
> handle.

No way we would NOT use this patch. Obviously, a sophisticated patch
that meets a real need for us.

> Thanks for your tolerance.

Thanks for the patch. We have gotten quite a few 'nice' patches
recently that fix some big problems.

Also, all your e-mail comes with this attachement. Thought you should
know.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026