Re: FE/BE protocol revision patch

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org (PostgreSQL-interfaces)
Subject: Re: FE/BE protocol revision patch
Date: 1998-05-19 18:16:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
> What I've done:
>
> 1. Rewritten libpq to allow asynchronous clients.
>
> 2. Implemented client side of cancel protocol in library,
> and patched psql.c to send a cancel request upon SIGINT.
> The backend doesn't notice it yet :-(
>
> 3. Implemented 'Z' protocol message addition and renaming of
> copy in/out start messages. These are implemented conditionally,
> ie, the client protocol version is checked; so the code should
> still work with 1.0 clients.
>
> 4. Revised protocol and libpq sgml documents (don't have an SGML
> compiler, though, so there may be some markup glitches here).
>

> What remains to be done:
>
> 1. Implement addition of atttypmod field to RowDescriptor messages.
> The client-side code is there but ifdef'd out. I have no idea
> what to change on the backend side. The field should be sent
> only if protocol >= 2.0, of course.
>
> 2. Implement backend response to cancel requests received as OOB
> messages. (This prolly need not be conditional on protocol
> version; just do it if you get SIGURG.)
>
> 3. Update libpq.3. (I'm hoping this can be generated mechanically
> from libpq.sgml... if not, will do it by hand.) Is there any
> other doco to fix?
>
> 4. Update non-libpq interfaces as necessary. I patched libpgtcl
> so that it would compile, but haven't tested it. Dunno what
> needs to be done with the other interfaces.

OK, other interface maintainers, here is a list of the changes we have
made in the new protocol. We need to be sure all the interfaces are
ready with these changes for 6.4.

We still have the open item of query cancellation for unix domain
connections, but will resolve this shortly.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026