RE: DBase large

From: "quines(at)cvtci(dot)com(dot)ar" <quines(at)cvtci(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-ayuda(at)tlali(dot)iztacala(dot)unam(dot)mx
Subject: RE: DBase large
Date: 1998-03-17 17:30:56
Lists: pgsql-es-ayuda

El 17/03/98 Jose Calderon-Celis, escribi:

>Hola:
>Debo cargar 600,000 registros, en una base de datos, instale el postgresql,
>todas las pruebas bien, pero el tiempo estimado de carga, es de 37 horas, el
>cual considero excesivo, es verdad que estoy usando el psql, lamento no haber
>encontrado un manual actualizado de postgresql, pero apesar de ello ya podido
>compilar y hacer interfase desde "C", por favor acepto sugerencia para
>reducir el tiempo de carga, como eliminar temporalmente la opcion "Time
>travel", etc.

Hola Jos,

Por si no leiste el FAQ de PostgreSQL, transcribo de l algo que puede
ayudarte.

Saludos
quines
---
2.11) How do I tune the database engine for better performance?

There are two things that can be done. You can use Openlink's option to
disable fsync() by starting the postmaster with a '-o -F' option.
This will prevent fsync()'s from flushing to disk after every transaction.

You can also use the postmaster -B option to increase the number of shared
memory buffers shared among the backend processes. If you make this
parameter too high, the process will not start or crash unexpectedly.
Each buffer is 8K and the defualt is 64 buffers.

You can also use the postmaster -S option to increase the maximum amount
of memory used by each backend process for temporary sorts. Each buffer
is 1K and the defualt is 512 buffers.