Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-12-01 23:12:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> When and if somebody tries to game that, we can do something about it,
>> but I'm not very worried. It's not like it's not trivial to get your
>> company's name, or $badword of your choice, into the archives already.

> Sure, of course. But it's a bit different when it's in the commit log.

Sure, but there's a filter in that case: if a committer finds a messageID
sufficiently offensive, he can just not quote it in the commit message.
There's precedent for that; I've more than once omitted crediting
somebody's bug report when it was submitted under an obviously fake name.

I'm not finding myself fussed about this.