Re: [HACKERS] Supporting huge pages on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Supporting huge pages on Windows
Date: 2018-01-21 16:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> With that, I'm pushing this. Let's see what the buildfarm thinks of it. And
> if others end up complaining about the platform drop, but I doubt that.

frogmouth:

pg_shmem.c: In function 'PGSharedMemoryCreate':
pg_shmem.c:205:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'GetLargePageMinimum'
pg_shmem.c:222:38: error: 'SEC_LARGE_PAGES' undeclared (first use in this function)
pg_shmem.c:222:38: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[3]: *** [pg_shmem.o] Error 1

so you were right to guess that this functionality isn't in XP.

I wonder whether this could be band-aided around by using "#ifdef
SEC_LARGE_PAGES" to protect the new code. I have no particular desire to
spend effort on supporting old Windows versions, but if there's someone
out there who does, they could be asked to look into that.