Re: Visibility regression test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visibility regression test
Date: 2002-08-29 17:22:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> Backend A locks row
> Backends B and C are waiting on row
> Backend A releases row

> The problem is we cannot determine the order that B and C will wake up
> in, which makes doing a diff against a standard case difficult.

Exactly.

> We don't actually want to serialize the commands as that changes the
> test.

Good point. Maybe what we need is not so much emphasis on getting an
exactly predetermined output, as a way of understanding the allowed
variations in output order and making the tool able to complain just
when unexpected variation occurs. In other words, something smarter
than diff to check the results with.