Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrus Moor" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres
Date: 2006-02-26 17:08:31
Lists: pgsql-general

"Andrus Moor" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee> writes:
> For example, there are suggestions using

> now()::CHAR!=foo

> while the correct way is

> CAST(CURRENT_DATE AS CHAR)<>foo

> now() function, :: and != operators should be removed from language.

Your second example requires twice as much typing as your first;
is it so surprising that some people prefer the shorter way?

We'd consider removing these features if they were actually blocking
support of some spec-required behavior ... but since they don't, it's
quite unlikely they'll ever be removed. Feel free not to use them
if you don't like them, but don't try to impose your viewpoint on
everyone else.